Skip to main content

Philips 3200 Coffee Machine - part 1

About a year ago I bought a new automatic coffee machine to replace the aging Saeco. This is a Philips machine, 3200 series, which actually is a pretty close match to the Saeco. Not a surprise, since Philips is the parent company of Saeco, while Saeco is the parent company of Gaggia. Which means some parts could be interchangeable.

I waited for about one year to see if any problems develop with the machine, but so far it has been pretty reliable. This post will aim to compare the old and the new machine and figure out how to automate it.

Just click on the Saeco label or search this blog to see the old teardown, which thousands of people have already read.

There will be plenty of pictures after the subjective review.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Philips or any other coffee company, this is just a hobby. 


Software and usability

The new machine is much better in terms of software and friendliness. While the old one used to dump ground coffee whenever it felt something wrong, the new one waits for the user to correct the problem. 
For example, if water is running low, the machine will pause during coffee making and wait a few minutes for the user to top up the reservoir.

There is a count of how many coffees have been made, this is pretty accurate, which will trigger a prompt to empty the dregs drawer and waste water container. You cannot fool it by just taking the drawer out and putting it back it, it needs to be out for at least a few seconds.

Water quantity and temperature are now user-adjustable and documented through the manual.

Pre-ground coffee can be used now, which the old Saeco lacked. The usage is not very intuitive but also not hard to figure out, even without the manual.

The "out-of-beans" sensor is now out, but I don't think many people will miss it. Moreover, the machine will just make a coffee with the already ground beans, instead of just dumping them out.

Descaling is semi-automated and works really well.

Can't say much about the frother, couldn't make it work properly, even after trying at least 10 times.

The touch button sensitivity is really bad. I realize that it's less sensitive for moisture reasons, but it could have been implemented a bit better. You need a "magic finger" touch to perform any action, since the firmware is aggressively tuned to reject false touches.

Noise (loudness) is pretty bad, it has to be one of the loudest consumer device I've ever heard. The grinding noise can be somewhat reduced by keeping the beans container full and pressing the lid. The pump noise can be reduced a bit, read below how I did it. It helps if the machine is put on a soft mat (extruded polystyrene).

Maintaining the machine, especially the daily tasks (emptying the dregs and waste water) is much cleaner and streamlined. Also the footprint is quite a lot smaller. I like the automatic powerdown feature which can even be configured.

All-in-all, I think there were some unnecessary build costs that were cut down but overall there are definitely improvements.

Teardown (disassembly)


This is not necessarily a guide on how to disassemble the machine, just how I did it. My main reason was to get to the board controlling the touch buttons. Most users will not need to do this and is probably one of the hardest parts to remove anyway.

Front panel

You can use a spudger and guitar picks to separate the chrome piece.



The front panel assembly should then just slide out, held back by a ribbon cable.


The board is marked "Omnia UI Basic". The microcontroller handling the user interface is CY8C4025AZI-S413 - it's a Cypress PSoC 4000 ARM M0+ with a lot of features. Of note are the low-voltage operation (1.7V) and CapSense.


The board layout is easy to follow and the silkscreen is quite useful. It communicates with the main board - which is somewhere deep inside the machine - via UART at 115200 baud. Below, I've just soldered some wires onto the connector and studying the signal shapes with a portable oscilloscope.
The protocol is mostly decoded but that will have to wait for a future post. 


Top and side covers

Leaving the front panel away from now, to service the machine the top panel needs to be removed. The screws are inside the beans container, with the last one hiding inside the "mushroom" thing. 

The mushroom top covers the grinder and I assume it functions as both finger guard as well as a beans "spreader", so that the grinder sees equal loading.

You can see the grinder adjustment higher up, this works the same way as with any Saeco machine. Mark down the position when you are taking the top off, since it's not keyed.

The dark protrusion even higher up would be a place for the magnetic lid sensor, which is omitted from this machine, probably in order to reduce costs. So you can run the machine without the lid, though it makes quite a racket when grinding.  


Most of the screws are Torx T10. The silver ones are stainless, while the dark ones are just plain steel. In addition to the screws on the top, there are some in the back and in the front of the unit, pretty easy to spot them. They are mostly all the same size.


Underneath the top sits the funnel and grinder assembly, with motor. Just be careful when removing it, everything might still be loosely attached.


Below is the complete grinder assembly in view. Top left is the grind adjustment, which hopefully you will remember to put back in the same position. It works by rotating the big toothed wheel which spins the ceramic grinding plates closer together or further apart.
If you find that your grind is too coarse or too fine, you can remove the top adjustment knob and insert it into another position, at your own risk.
There are some markings on the wheel, I think the red dot is for the coarsest grind, the white line for the finest.
The rightmost part is where the ground coffee goes, whether from the grinder or from the pre-ground funnel in the front of the machine.


The motor now lacks the speed sensor, which previously enabled the machine to know if it was out of beans or if the motor was stuck. Again a cost reduction, though there is a connector on the bottom of the grinder. I did not test the points, but the sensor might be there, just not used.


Removing the top cover and assembly completely reveals nothing of interest. The grinder sits on a spring, I've raised mine up a bit, with some felt pads, to help reduce noise.


Behind the back cover is where most of the stuff happens.
Top left is the main controller and power board.
Bottom, from left:  water meter, solenoid valve, water pump, boiler.


Left side (when viewed from the front) has the solenoid valve for the frother.


Below the black cover is the motor for the brew unit, with just a limit switch. I think the old Saeco had 2 limit switches. Otherwise its functionality is the same.



The right side has the place for the brew unit and the water tank. I think the new design is an improvement, since the waste water can run directly into the drawer below. If it overflows, it runs below the machine, without accumulating inside and causing rust and mold.

An issue with the old machine was that many screws were exposed to this damp environment, causing them to rust. In the new design, there are a lot less screws and less places for dirty water to accumulate.


Noise mitigations

The grinding adjustment can vibrate while the machine is in use, It comes apart in two pieces and I've used some heatshrink tubing around the top part. You can also use some rubber tube, being careful not to go below the clips holding it to the bottom part.
Notice that the knob is not keyed, so when assembling the machine you should make sure it faces the same angle as it did when taking it out.


The grinder has a few "soft" locating points, but mine was missing one. You can see that the right side of the motor has a rubber pin, which is missing from below the adjustment wheel. I used a toothpick to prevent the unit from sliding around.
Note that you don't want to over-constrain the assembly, it's designed that it can move around, though in my case it had too many axes of freedom.
As written above, below the grinder there is a spring which was barely making contact in my case. I used some felt pads to raise (stiffen) it.


The mushroom top also vibrates a lot. I put a tiny bit of heatshrink tubing at the top of the screw holding it.


Part 1 conclusion

This was just a quick teardown for people who are already familiar with these kind of machines. Look into my other articles for detailed explanations and troubleshooting.

I've reverse-engineered most of the protocol of the front panel and will try to integrate it with Home-Assistant and ESPHome. There is some handshake/heartbeat happening which will need debugging, since this determines whether I need to deactivate the front panel or can just wire my circuit in parallel. Either way, should not be rocket-science.

I believe my model has most of the features available, so people with lower-end ones can potentially upgrade to gain extra functionality, since those are probably determined just by button availability. Having full software control means that you can emulate non-existent buttons.

Comments

  1. good job there! first time i'm at this blog and start loving it :) keep that good work up! cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great reading you blog post. You have mentioned everything very point to point. When i was searching for the answer iam very much curious to know how things work but after reading your post all my doubts about this got cleared. I got my answer by reading your post. Keeping posting stuff like this future. I will look forward to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very helpful guide! I would like to understand more of the UART communication between the two controllers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be most interested in the UART protocol myself! Extending the functionality would be awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will take a little while, I'm in process of moving my lab, and, once this is done, I will map out the entire protocol. I want to read all possible values: error "messages", descale alerts, preheating, ... in case me or someone else destroys the front panel.

      But so far I've got:
      esp 1x d5 55 00 07 00 00 00 00 00 07
      esp 2x d5 55 00 38 00 00 00 00 00 07
      lungo 1x d5 55 00 00 00 07 00 00 00 07
      lungo 2x d5 55 00 00 00 38 00 00 00 07
      coffee 1x d5 55 00 00 00 00 38 00 00 07
      coffee 2x d5 55 00 00 00 00 00 07 00 07
      amer 1x d5 55 00 00 07 00 00 00 38 07
      amer 2x d5 55 00 00 38 00 00 00 38 07
      hot water d5 55 00 00 00 00 07 00 00 00
      steam d5 55 00 00 00 00 00 38 00 00

      Delete
    2. Thank you!
      I was kinda hoping for a more complete decryption of the protocol :D

      Interesting to see that the protocol differs slightly on a 2200:
      https://github.com/chris7topher/SmartPhilips2200/blob/f667b45b32ebb34d1c5f91e6ee527bf9fb80906d/ESP8266/withWebserver.cpp#L64

      Delete
    3. Sorry, I don't have all the equipment nor time available right now to do the full decoding. I'm using my unit with the retail firmware, but the goal is to make some HomeAssistant (EspHome) plugin to completely replace the headunit. That's why I didn't publish all my scratches, since I want a full replacement, including the option to tell you if the water filter is expired or if a descale is needed.
      Considering these machines are well-made, I assume it's never too late to publish a front panel replacement :D
      The other difficulty is that the communication between the front panel and the main board uses an async (similar to UART) protocol, which means that man-in-the-middle approaches need to either use a really careful timing or some kind of buffering. This is not an issue if the front board is discarded and simply replaced.
      Sorry if you are disappointed, it will take some time to come up with a full solution, that's why I didn't publish any more findings.

      Delete
    4. Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude 😉
      Have a look at the GitHub repo I linked, there is a schematic of how to hook up an ESP. According to a discussion in the ioBroker forum the cable connector is some Picoflex by Molex.

      Delete
  5. That's exactly what I wanted to do with my unit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice documentation.

    I just had to repair my machine few days ago, because the litte plastic outlet from the grinder to the vertical tube was broken and thus 50% of the coffee powder was released into the machine housing instead of going into the brewing unit.

    Do you know if there is any exploded view drawing with spare part numbers available?



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cannot find one right now, but the parts are available in several places, if you know what's broken. For example: https://philips.encompass.com/model/SAEEP3241%7C54

      Delete
    2. https://www.mrbean2cup.co.uk/spare-parts/Philips/philips-ep2230-ep2231-ep3241-ep3243-ep3246-ep3249-ep2235-ep2035-ep2131-ep2136-ep3146

      Delete
  7. Hi, thank you for your work! Great documentation! Would love to add an ESP to my machine too. Would you be able to post the pinout for the JP1 connector. I'd love to know which ones are power, ground, Rx and Tx. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Sorry, it will come, just have been super busy with some huge projects and there is no time left for hobbies.

      Delete
  9. I suspect that some functions should work by shorting (via resistor) Tx to Ground.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I as so interested to see the insides but was scared to pull it apart while under warranty. I have the 4300 series and it detects when running empty on beans so I guess that connector is used on the higher end models. My only gripe with mine is that it grinds just a bit too coarse on the finest setting. If you could create a tutorial for dummies (like myself) how to "hack" the grinder that would be super helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I think with time the machine 'settles'. You can force a finer grind but my suggestion is just to give it more time until the grinder runs in. For me it took about two months.

      There is no warranty seal, so you can open it. You need to take the top cover off, notice how the grinder key is turned, and turn it a few clicks - in the finer direction - and put the cover back on. I don't have mine apart but should be a 10-minute job.

      Delete
  11. Great article! I have problem with milk frother - does not froth milk, just go on drops. Do you think I must replace solenoid valve on your picture on the left side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. If it ever worked before, I would first try cleaning and descaling, perhaps it's clogged. If everything else works fine, it could be the solenoid or some other valve.

      Delete
    2. Something to check with these machines (if frothing sucks...) is the little black tip on the metal wand. Make sure it is protruding out of the metal tube or the unit will no froth at all, if it has been pushed inside of the tube you can push the black plastic piece out again with something as simple as a pencil. Had this problem for a few weeks and took a bit of tinkering to figure out.

      Delete
  12. Have been using Latter 5400 for 2 years, basically the same innards, and still wondering if that is feasible to reverse engeneere the firmware and OSD to fine tune just extraction volumes and milk foam volumes for some coffee drinks. It's kinda pretty good machine, but "cappuccino" at maximum volume is missing like 20...30 ml of frothed milk and "coffee cream" is missing like 20 ml of extraction at maximum volumes to perfectly fit my beloved cups :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, ment LatteGo 5400, autocorrection stepped in :D

      Delete
    2. I think that the front panel just sends the button presses to the back microcontroller, not quantities. I don't have the automatic frother to play around but I think there is a setting on the panel for how much milk should be dispensed (or it depends on how much the LatteGo container is filled).
      Not sure if there is any effort of reverse-engineering the firmware or a service tool. A service tool would be the first thing I would try finding in your case. For that, the best bet is a coffee machine repair shop.

      Delete
    3. today i’ve learned, when you hold the brewing button the machine allows to tune volume of milk and water.

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, just got the same machine. Really looking forward to see part 2 with an esp or similar. Thx man for your share to the comunity.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job. I've the same machine and I was thinking to open it and try to find where the main board is. What I'd like to adjust is the large amount of water that the startup process use. I guess it is almost useless because the shoutdown process include a cleanup cycle. So there is no actually a good reason to cleanup again when it turn on.
    Anyway, after reading your job I guess this goal is out of my possibility at the moment. I hope you are looking the same.


    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I am writing from Turkey, I had series 2200 with LatteGo before, its milk foam was good, later I have bought a 4300 series (it has LCD and mL settings) but I realize an issue about milk froth, this series 4300 (5400 same) creates too much big foam bubles on milk. Because its steam pump works faster according to series 2200, as a result these models have same structure but software is different. Is it possible reducing amount of steam producing by pump, change pump frequency?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent work! I'm looking to turn on the machine with a ESP32. I hope it's possible.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for such a great post. By any chance have you got the power on command? my board is damaged and waiting for a replacement. would be great to automate it. Managed to get putty to get to the XMAIN command on startup, but non of the above mentioned commands work. seem si may need the power command first. Thanks again :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is exactly what I needed. I've taken the machine apart before but at the time wasn't looking for the water empty sensor. Is it a float valve of some kind? My machine is not detecting when the water is empty. I'm assuming I'll have to replace that part of the unit or try to refurbish it if it isn't fully sealed (it probably is).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The back of your water tank has a small protrusion that goes into the back of the machine where there's a small board that's covered in plastic for water proofing. There's a small black wire that runs from that to the main board. . The small water sensor board is held in place with some adhesive on the back . I'd make sure the protrusion o. The back of the tank is fully inserted and making contact. The back comes off with two T10 screws on bottom back. You can unplug and remove back and check water sensor there.

      Delete
  20. I managed to sniff a bit more of the power on proto-call. the front touch panel responds to XMAIN from the back MCU with XUI__ After that i cant seem to get anything else. any help would be amazing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to see how it powers on, but, from what I've seen, other people have resorted to a different way of powering on. See https://github.com/chris7topher/SmartPhilips2200 but I know there was another repository as well. I will try to see if I can get mine to power on without the controller board but cannot make any promises.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much that would really help me out. I only managed to get that response from removing some fried components, powering it from a 3.3v current limited source and freezing the MCU with compressed air to get me some sort of life from it. unfortunately that has stopped working, as the chip is completely shorted now. i will try those again, maybe in conjunction with the XUI command. Thank you for the reply :D

      Delete
    3. So a bit of an update, i took it into the repair center, and they told me that the new front touch board needs to by synced somehow with the main pcb. this doesn't make any sense to me, as that would be quite a process in factory. now what they are saying is the main board is blown, even after i got a response back from it overt the uart. think they are just being lazy. But have you had a chance to dump the on codes for me? as then maybe i can bring this board back to life. Thanks again

      Delete
    4. Have you tried the power on command from here: https://github.com/chris7topher/SmartPhilips2200/blob/master/ESP8266/withWebserver.cpp#L65 ? {0xd5, 0x55, 0x01, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x02, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x35, 0x05};

      Delete
    5. Hi, yes i have, unfortunately nothing. but i am trying to get more answers from the repair center. maybe one of them can slip up and giver me more info

      Delete
    6. Have you managed to get any additional information? My coffee machine won't turn on. I've replaced the touch board and the power board, but it's not responding.

      Delete
    7. In the end they had to program it at the repair center. Thats all they said. I had enough and just let them do what they needed to. Wish I knew more. Good luck :)

      Delete
    8. Glad to hear it's sorted, sad to hear very little details ;) Do you want to share a price for future readers? I haven't tried dumping the Flash contents from the uC but I doubt it's unprotected.

      Delete
  21. Thanks for sharing such an informative post

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey there, great write up and thanks for sharing all the photos along with it.

    I think I got hit with a rock/stone in my Lavazza coffee beans, which completely obliterated the clay grinder (the white piece inside the grinder assembly). I was trying to find just the grinder assembly without the motor, but with no luck. I'm not sure if you can find that available?

    On the other hand, if I can disassemble the grinder assembly, then I can replace the clay grinder piece, but not sure how to remove the top part (the part that has the white line and red dot). Any help here will be greatly appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah asked my question too soon... This youtube video helped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSmUA52XN0Q

      Delete
  23. Will be a Part 2 or is this Project done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, just had a lot of more urgent projects done since then. There will definitely be a conclusion or at least some more information and open source code.

      Delete
  24. I'm very curious as to whether or not you could place a 5400s mainboard and front bezel into a lower end machine and save a few quid. Or maybe there's a way to program the board itself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it, it seems that the protocol is different for the 5000 series machine than my one (3000).

      Delete
  25. Hi! Nice description. I wonder hoe the machines sensor for clogged funnel for pre-ground coffee is working. I had the problem where the connector from grinder to funnel was broken so that a lot of ground coffee was all over inside the machine, and the error message for clogged funnel was constantly on. Then I replaced the connector, cleaned the machine and grinder and tried again. But no luck: It still states the funnell is clogged, after grindinng a second or two. Any idea how the machine flasely detects this?
    Best regards, Inge Paulsen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does it start pressing the beans? Or just gives up?
      If it does not start pressing, it could be that it detects that the motor spins too slowly. There are some hall sensors near the motor base.

      Delete
    2. It starts and it sounds normal, but immediately (1 second?) stops. This is the case even if there are no coffee beans in the container. I have also taken the grinder apart and re-assembled it, but no change. It works normal with pre-ground coffee. I still have hope that I can get it to work normally, so the search continues.

      Delete
    3. If it's the same series (3000) then it lacks a clogging or empty hopper sensor, unlike the older Talea. My bet would be on the grinder motor sensor.

      Delete
    4. Not sure if you can replace just the hall sensors without replacing the entire motor or even the whole grinder unit.

      Delete
    5. I have found when repairing this issue, I have to replace the grinder and motor. Which I do together as a unit.

      Delete
  26. Brilliant! Came across your article when wondering if there were any way to extend the power-off time. The machine usually powers off just as I am ready for another cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is some key combination in the manual to extend the power-off time. I set mine to 4h or so.

      Delete
  27. About the noise it makes. Some friends has the exact same machine as ours, but bought perhaps a year later. Their machine is much quieter, which is both interesting and annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a lot of my friends have a very similar machine (3000 series) but theirs is usually much quieter when grinding. Not sure how to lower the noise, I tried a lot of stuff.

      Delete
  28. Thanks for sharing such an informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am anxiously awaiting Part 2. I have the same model, and would love to have Home Assistant sent it a signal in the morning to turn on and go through it's startup cycle before I go downstairs.

    ReplyDelete
  30. For the grinder adjustment knob, can the knob be raised enough to be reseated into the grinder with a different setting? I'd like to grind finer than the current lowest setting without taking the top cover off if possible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can remove the bean tray and rotate the knob to a new point. Be sure to mark out how the limit lever was matched before in case you want to go back or you disassemble the grinder.

      Delete
  31. Thank you for the informative guide! Just wanted to ask, is there a way to take off the side panel that is hinged to the machine? (The door to access brew group) The panel/door itself. Mine has developed a crack and would like to replace it if I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can replace the door. It has two little plastic pegs holding it in place at top of door and bottom. Door does have sensor so It is necessary.

      Delete
  32. Thank you for the great article! I'm trying to make smart my Phillips EP3246 but I can't make the display to work. Retrieving status and commands sending works but something with sending the Tx commands to the split Tx pin is not working. Using NodeMCU and this is my wiring. Please give me some advice: https://github.com/mkorenko/esp-phillips-3200/issues/1

    ReplyDelete
  33. UPDATE: It turned out that the display works fine if I power on the machine from its button. Then it works and it shows what I command sent.
    But If I power on the machine from the ESP, then the display does not turn on at all..no matter what commands I sent.
    Any idea on what can it be? Did I messed up with the transistor?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  34. UPDATE2: I fixed the display problem. It turned out I had to cut the 3th cable (Ground) and connect it with se 2nd cable (also ground) to the transistor emitter and now it resets the display when I send command. Now other issues occur with command and strange behaviors of water level command but at least I am able to power it on remotely

    ReplyDelete
  35. UPDATE3:
    But my next critical problem is the ghost commands. When the Tx is router through the ESP and I select a brew, the machine starts grinding on its own. Sometimes is stops halfway through. Very odd and unpredictable.
    It is super strange as I'm not sending any commands at this point. I also commented the code for reading machine statuses (loop method) and only left the read/write code that forwards the commands to the Tx Serial pin.
    Any idea what can cause this? Maybe I need to cut the other unused pins to the display?
    My other idea is to connect the Tx from the display to the motherboard directly and add a diode so my Tx sending can only go forward to the motherboard (no idea if it could work)

    ReplyDelete
  36. UPDATE 4: I replaced the ESP8266 with ESP32 and no more ghost commands. Everything works as expected. Now sure what was the problem with my ESP8266..maybe its firmware I was updating. I'll be posting the code here https://github.com/flashmandv/phillips-3246-smart (based/forked from https://github.com/mkorenko/esp-phillips-3200)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice work! As suggested by Paul, you can try again with some pull-up (or pull-down?) resistors, as I doubt it's the code that's causing the problem. Or it may be an issue with the actual ESP8266 board, I had to throw some cheap ones away since they were very glitchy.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ligius. I already replaced the ESP8266 with ESP32 so won't be needed to play with pullup resistors. I just commited my code with properly described wiring and details

      Delete
  37. Nice one :) quick one, maybe a pull up resistor on the lines to help with stability? Didn't see any references to that in your code, but may have missed it. May be random noise on the line caused by the motor?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks Paul. As I already replaced the ESP8266 with ESP32 won't need the pullup resistors. Everything is working great (apart from the presets I made for specific coffee settings..can't auto set the water/strength level to specific setting as the machine does not update the status in the while loop) . I've just commit my code and the proper wiring and info details. If you or anybody else wants (and have time) to help with fixing the presets - feel free to commit to this repo https://github.com/flashmandv/phillips-3246-smart

    ReplyDelete
  39. Good afternoon

    Please tell me if you know.
    Machine philips ep2224.
    Initially, there was a problem with the fact that after grinding, some of the coffee remained inside the machine body. The manufacturer fixed the problem under warranty. A year later the error appeared again and I removed the top cover to check. There were no coffee residues inside, but after I put everything back together again, coffee residues began to appear inside (I saw it through the gap on the side of the brewing unit).
    I suspect that the problem is the incorrect installation of the white rubber gasket of the coffee grinder (I did not remove anything except the top cover). Or in the coffee grinder itself (when screwing on the top cover, the coffee grinder has to be aligned with force, otherwise it will not fit into the grooves).

    Please tell me what and how to do correctly so that the problem with coffee residues goes away?
    Perhaps the problem is not in the gasket, but in the correct installation of the coffee grinder?

    Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi. Thank you for digging into the workings of these machines. My 3200 has a progressing problem with increasing length of time milk froth is delivered. I always use the lowest setting for amount of milk froth, but the number of seconds that it delivers milk froth has almost doubled since the machine was new. I have reset to factory defaults on several occasions. I have descaled. I have tried to adjust the amount of milk froth for the highest setting but it only allows a larger amount of milk froth not a smaller amount. At this point I have to capture the first half of the milk froth delivery in another mug. Everything else is working correctly. I don't know how the machine does its timing, but the gradual changes seem to indicate a an analog timing circuit and a capacitor going bad perhaps? Might there be a single capacitor on the main board that is used for timing purposes? It can't be a digital timer with a gradual decay problem.... Many thanks for your insight. Sincerely, Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  41. I refurbish these machines. But when it comes to the boards I'm lost. I know that I can put a lower model face on an upper model, like a 3200 face on a 5400 body and it will work. But I cannot put a 5400 face on a 3200 machine. I've looked at the main board and see no difference. I'm wondering if you could tell me what I can do to fix this and be able to make this work? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Due to spammers, comments sometimes will go into a moderation queue. Apologies to real users.

Popular

FiberHome AN5506-02-F router hack

Ikea SKARSTA sit/standing desk hack

Floureon BYC17.GH3 thermostat teardown and impression

Non-genuine battery in Lenovo X230

Zoom G1 guitar effects pedal repair

Racechip tuning box - part 2 - reverse engineering